Why Animal Lovers Should Provide Extra Care for Elderly Pets
By Jean Morgan
Pets and humans share one thing in common as years go by and that is aging. The cat or dog may not run that fast anymore compared to how it was in its youth, which is a signal to tell us that extra care must already be given. This is because the immune system may not be that strong anymore making these animals susceptible to diseases.
Here are some things people can do for the pet.
1. The person should bring the cat or dog for checkup every six months or once a year. This is for the vet to conduct a full examination and give the proper vaccination against a number of diseases.
2. Parents have always told the child that owning a pet is a huge responsibility. This is not only in terms of taking it for a walk or giving it bath but also making sure that the animal is properly fed. The person should buy cat or dog food that is good quality and recommended by the vet because this provides sustenance not always seen when getting a generic version.
3. The cat or dog will get fat and have problems such as diabetes because of lying around in the house. Physical activity must be encourage by going for a walk in the park, playing a game of catch with a stick or a Frisbee and in the case of cats, giving a ball of yarn or a scratch pad.
As the pet ages, this should be done two or three times a week instead of daily. The owner should keep in mind that this can also stress the animal.
4. It is a no brainer to give the dog or cat a bath. The one thing many pet owners forget to do is clean the teeth, comb the hair, cut the nails and check the ears for fleas. These things should be done weekly or once every two weeks.
5. The person should also check on the sleeping quarters of the cat or dog. The pet must never be allowed to sleep on the concrete floor since the temperature drops in the evening. The best thing to do will be to purchase a mattress. The more expensive kind will even have a heater that will be useful especially during the winter.
6. The last thing is to make sure the pet takes its daily dose of food supplements. There are many in the market and these can be purchased over the counter without the need of getting a prescription from the vet. It is only when things get worse that the doctor will give something to ease the pain.
The average life span of most cats and dogs is between 10 to 15 years even if it has been diagnosed with an illness. If nothing can be done to remedy the situation, the best thing for the owner to do is put it to sleep.
This stops the pain that is being experienced by the pet, which humans will never feel or understand. There is no law prohibiting euthanasia in animals compared to human patients that are suffering and confined in the hospital.
There is only so much people can do when the cat or dog is around. This is why we have to cherish every moment that he or she is among us because there will come a time that it won’t be around anymore.
Jean Morgan is a writer about pet health issues and the owner of several animals. To learn more about your pet’s health and to receive money off coupons for pet products please visit Pet Meds Fast or Natures Healthy Pet
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Jean_Morgan