Fun Facts About a Dog’s Best Friend!
* The canine nose works one million times more efficiently than the human nose.
* dalmatians Dalmatians, with all those cute black spots, are born white.
* The Bloodhound doesn..t need to smell blood to find someone who is lost. It is said that its name instead means blooded hound, or aristocratic.
* Barbara Bush..s book, Millie..s Book, is all about her English Springer Spaniel and was on the bestseller list for 29 weeks. Millie was the most popular ..First Dog.. in history.
* Pekingese dogs were sacred to the emperors of China for more than 2,000 years. They are one of the oldest breeds of dogs in the world.
* Perhaps many believe that the Canary Islands were named for a bird called the canary. Actually, they were named after a breed of large dogs. The Latin name was Canariae insulae .. ..Island of Dogs…
* The smallest breed of dog recognized by the American Kennel Club is the Chihuahua, which stands six to nine inches at the top of the shoulders and weighs two to six pounds. The largest in height is the Irish Wolfhound, which stands 30 to 35 inches at the top of the shoulders and weighs 105 to 125 pounds.
* The only dog in the world that cannot bark is the Basenji, an African wolf dog, but they do make other noises like whining and howling.
* At the end of the Beatles.. song ..A Day in the Life,.. an ultrasonic whistle, audible only to dogs, was recorded by Paul McCartney for his Shetland Sheepdog.
* George Washington had 36 Foxhounds, and one was named Sweetlips.
* The phrase ..Dog Days of Summer.. comes from an ancient Roman belief. It was believed that the Dog star, Sirius, gave off a lot of heat and caused higher temperatures during the months of June, July and August.
About Dog..s Best Friend
According to a recent AKC and Iams Company survey of 1,000 dog owners, the following information holds true:
* Here Comes the Dog. Fifty-two percent of pet owners say they would include their dog in their wedding.
* Why Go to a Therapist? Forty percent of pet owners say they..d share a secret with their dogs before anyone else.
* Need an Exercise buddy? Eighty percent of pet owners say owning a dog increases their likelihood of exercising regularly.
* All in the Family! Forty percent of pet owners sleep with their dogs in the bed.
* Say no More! Eighty-five percent of dog owners say they understand what their dogs are saying when the barking begins. And, 93 percent think their dogs understand their owners.
* My dog..s the best! Ninety percent of pet owners say they are more appreciative of their dog after watching a dog show on TV!