“The Universal Declaration on Animal Welfare (UDAW) is an agreement among people and between nations that animals can feel pain and therefore people and nations should work together to prevent cruelty to animals and establish standards for their humane treatment”
The WSPA is trying to collect 10 million signatures worldwide for this ‘Make Animals Matter’ Campaign and have collected about half a million signatures. Won’t you sign their petition? From the WSPA campaign site:
Science shows us that animals are sentient; they can experience pain and have feelings. Yet, despite the importance of animals to billions of people and the knowledge that they can and do suffer, there is currently no global recognition of the importance of animal welfare.
The World Society for the Protection of Animals is trying to change that. We are working to achieve a Universal Declaration on Animal Welfare (UDAW) at the United Nations and we’re calling on you to help.
The achievement of this declaration would be a ground breaking step towards improvements for animals all around the world and would act as a catalyst for change in the following ways.
* By raising the status of animal welfare as an international issue;
* By encouraging governments to improve their national animal welfare legislation;
* By providing a basis for animal welfare legislation in countries where it does not already exist.
* By improving public awareness of the importance of animal welfare;
* By inspiring positive change in public attitudes towards animal welfare
Where To Sign The Petition
9.27.2007 Entries Posted So Far