Hello fans of feathered friends,
I think this is a much needed video because having a potty trained parrot makes life so much easier. Now I’m not saying there won’t ever be an accident on your floor or shoulder again but for the most part birds are extremely communicative and they deserve the chance to be taken the time to train just like you would your dog or any other pet.
So I am going to go over the steps right here just in case any of them weren’t clear in the video.
1. Gage how often your parrot needs to go potty. This is valuable information as it will give you an approximate wait time before he needs to go again. when you have that approximate information you can move on to step #2…
2. If the allotted time has passed and you are lucky that you parrot hasn’t went potty yet. Take him to his cage or stand and set him there and tell him “Go Potty”. Keep repeating this phrase or any similar phrase until he does it. If he does go potty then move on to step #3. If he doesn’t then wait as much time as your patience will allow until he does. If he doesn’t go potty, leave him there to relax for a while (not to be punished) and then just bring him out to play a bit later.
3. After he goes potty MAKE sure to remove him from the cage or stand so he can resume playing with you or chillin’ with you as he was before you began the training. Then give him kisses, cuddles, head scratches or treats to show him that he did a great job in understanding what you asked for.
4. After a while he will associate this moment of returning to the cage with the phrase “go potty” and he will understand that if he does he will get to come back out again.
5. In time, he will let you know that he wants to go by chirping, talking, biting or even running around like a toddler that has to go. The reason, he will let you know is because he doesn’t want to have to spend extra time in his cage, he will want to get it over with so he can get right back to playing with you.
I hope all this helps. At the end of the video, I talk about not being cruel to other parrot owners who need help. Help them out with gentle words, even if they are doing something wrong. It will go a long way for them and their parrot.
Here is the link to the video of Rocky watching TV at night.
Check Out “Jersey and Picasso Get Romantic and Share an Orange | PARROT VIDEO OF THE DAY”