Posted by on Jul 22, 2014 in Pet Training Videos | 27 comments

Help the Dog Training rEvolution do more and get better access to me to help you with your dog starting at $2 a month! www.Patreon.com/Zakgeorge Like me on Facebook: www.facebook.com...

27 Responses to “The “Real Life Leave it” Explained: How to Train Your Dog to LEAVE ANYTHING ALONE Counter Surfing”

1. Audra Fisher says:

I couldn’t wait for this video because my dog doesn’t know a real life
    leave it! But not for long! He’s going to start learning ASAP!!

2. hamsterhouse says:

REQUEST: can you do a video on how to get your dog to stop
    begging……….

3. John Fleshman says:

Man I got lucky with my pound rescue. I can set my pizza on a plate on the
    chair next to my computer desk and she will leave it alone even if I ignore
    her. whoever had her originally did good training her about stuff like
    that. There has been an opened bag of doritos on my desk for a few days and
    she hasn’t tried for those either and she loves both of those things with a
    furry passion.

4. MrBooboonator says:

9 week old Chesapeake bay retriever after two days he is doing great, not
    perfect by far but alot faster then my great dane and corgi/mini aussie
    did.

5. Diego Holzman says:

finally you’ve answered my question! life saving!

6. LittleCloverGirl says:

This was something my dog started doing a few weeks ago out of the blue.
    She’s only ever managed to get something once or twice, but “leave it” is a
    command she just does not like in this situation.
    Though with all the extra “help” I’ve been getting from family members,
    it’s amazing my poor girl listens to anything ever… which she honestly
    rarely does, anymore. No one is on the same page as me.

7. JoAnn Scinta says:

so this is awesome! and I should do this with the non food items also?!

8. Sandra Shaver says:

Can I still train my pound puppies properly if I am in aa wheelchair? I am
    unable to get on the floor with them.

9. Kelley Prasad says:

I cannot wait to try this with Remy. Seems I’d been going about it wrong
    as I had him on a lead. As Zak mentioned, that’s my bad, not the puppy’s!

10. Javier Garcia says:

Hi Zak. I’ve recommended so many people to watch your videos. I have three
    rescues and they’re all doing great thanks to you. Thank you!

11. SweetKiss says:

Hi Zak!!!
    First I want to compliment you for your video’s! They are great!!
    I have a small question, I have a 10 weeks old Labrador puppy, she is very
    smart, she can sit, give a paw, lay down, fetch… and the rest is coming
    I have just one problem, she bites a lot… I know it’s mouthing, but it
    really hurts :( how can I learn her to stop that? My son of 6 is afraid of
    her, because she does that…
    It would be great if you would respond.
    greetings from Belgium :)

12. jeremymensch says:

that puppy reminds me of my dog when she was a pup. she’s three years old
    now. it’s funny, all her life she never did anything like that until
    yesterday when she took my pizza of my plate that was on the table. is it
    too late to train her?

13. anna navarro says:

Im the first one to watch it Lol

14. Allan Powell says:

My dog never steals my food, i never let him beg either. its pretty simple,
    dont give the dog your food, EVER, untill youre completely done eating then
    you can decide if you want to share whats left

15. givback says:

Hey Zak, I am really glad to have access to your expertise, as I am
    training a puppy (now 15 weeks old). HERE”S MY QUESTION: my pup loves to
    stand on her hind legs, and she has a real natural talent for it. So far, I
    have been discouraging this, because it is related to a bunch of
    undesirable things, like jumping up on people and grabbing stuff off high
    surfaces around the house. But I’d love for her to get to optimize on her
    talent and delight in acting like a biped! How should I approach this? Is
    she too young to learn standing up tricks and staying off commands at the
    same time? If I teach her to stay down and off, will it diminish her joy in
    prancing around on her hind legs? You seem like the person who would know
    the best way to go at this.

16. RD M says:

My lab shows no interest in the counter or table when we are home, but as
    soon as we leave, she becomes a counter theif! She knows this is wrong as
    she only hides from us when we get home after she has stolen from the
    counter. I have never hit my dog, but she is pitifully penitent at those
    times. Despite this, she can’t seem to help herself. She doesn’t get table
    scraps and doesn’t beg. What to do?

17. Amber Oliver says:

Could rewarding as soon as the dog jumps off create a chain behavior?

18. Holly Ivbuls says:

when my dog is laying down we can put a treat right under her nose and she
    won’t touch it until we tell her too, also she won’t eat her meals until we
    say it’s okay

19. Alex Lepetsos says:

My three year old coonhound, Ruby will very quickly jump up on the counter
    or table and snatch anything from a plate!

20. Tracy Krasnov says:

As a matter of fact, just today my husband and I went to help a friend with
    her computer and pick up some eggs. We took Duchess along for the ride in
    the car. There were two dog biscuits on the dash, passenger side. We went
    inside and were in there for a good 15 minutes. Back out to the car and
    notice that Duchess has moved into the front passenger side of the car.
    This is where the biscuits are!! We get in and biscuits have not been
    touched. Told her to get in the back and then gave her a biscuit. :)

21. State Street United Methodist says:

Our 18 month old labradoodle (we got him at age six months and he was WILD)
    is great at leaving food and stays off our counters — actually when we’re
    in the kitchen, he “goes to his mat.” BUT we have not been able to teach
    him to leave pillows alone. He grabs them and wants to play the “chase me”
    game. I have tried training “leave it” with the pillows specifically for
    days, we put the pillows away for four months, I’ve tried “trade” for
    treats or another toy and we tried to completely ignore him (and let him
    have access to an old pillow). He actually did tear that one up. We don’t
    chase him, but if he does grab them I need to get them back. My former dog
    trainer told me to just keep the pillows away for a few months, but after
    four months, he still grabbed them. I know it seems like a minor issue, but
    it’s a real pain! I have back issues, so sitting without a pillow really
    bothers me. We have made tremendous strides on just about every area except
    for this. He’s obsessed with pillows!

22. Marley flower says:

Mine nicks everything

23. Chalisa Orr says:

Good my dog can’t even reach the conter

24. MissyandPiper says:

Thank you so much for this video. I’ve been looking everywhere for a way to
    train this, but have not been able to find a video that’s using +
    reinforcement.
    REQUEST could you do a video on raiding the garbage can?

25. Sydney Dinh says:

thanks for your help its works so wellllll on my puppy

26. Sarah Vega says:

We came home and he had eaten a loaf of bread, he also gets into the trash
    and will get into anything when we leave

27. Susan DeFelice says:

I have been thinking of getting a gate for the kitchen, but I like this way
    a lot better. I would rather teach my dog to behave in an appropriate
    manner than exclude him.